Saturday 22 June 2013

Race-the-sun write-up Part 7 - Southam; Gateway to the Midlands?

I was about to swing around the little town of Southam and go on my way when I realised I'd never heard of it, which is a primary selection criteria for places to visit on these journeys.


In the town, I came across this first specimen of a half-timbered house I'd seen on the journey, and when I walked around, I noticed the people all sounded like Jasper Carrot. This must, I reasoned, be the start of the Midlands.


I came across a very pleasant, no-frills cafe with charming staff. The coffee was good, but the main attraction was...


...Pippa (that's the one in brown, not red), possibly the fussiest, slobberiest dog in town. She gave every passer-by the goo-goo eye treatment to ensure they took a couple of minutes out of their day to make a fuss of her and get slobbered. They all went on their way only minutes later about their business than they would otherwise have been, and slightly damper, but feeling so much happier with the world. Stirling work, there, Pippa!

...
Oh, and Upton Snodsbury. How could I pass by such a glorious place-name?

As it happened, I was passing just on lunch time so stopped at The Oak, Mark and Louise's excellent pub, which has great food and coffee, and a ceiling full of wine bottles! (http://www.theoakuptonsnodsbury.co.uk/) If you're West of Worcester in need of a break, I'd recommend it.


No comments:

Post a Comment