Saturday 22 June 2013

Race-the-sun write-up Part 5 - Technophilia and the A14

The joy of technology. With WiFi almost everywhere
- like a service station on the A14 -
you can get on line and hold forth at the drop of a hat.
I'm sometimes astonished at how far behind the curve I have fallen with technology... I was one of the first to get a home computer in the days when 64k was massive. A phone graced my briefcase long before that of many a colleague. And yet I have only just figured out how to make my smart(er-than-me) phone connect to the Internet (and therefore Facebook) in the absence of a WiFi connection - surely a key capability on a blogged journey like this one. Fortunately, there is generally no shortage of WiFi providers, and in any case, I regard this more considered write-up while sitting calmly at a proper keyboard to be the real account.

The A14.... now there's a level of technology I understand: roads.

The A14 is certainly well visited though not particularly loved, which is a great shame. It is a very rare thing: a safe, fast highway that goes across the country instead of to and from London. It connects the ferry ports to Europe with the remains of our industrial heartland. I cadged a ride for a bit of it to speed me along into the Midlands.

No comments:

Post a Comment